Low Level Laser Treatment (LLLT) Is PBM Therapy!
Low Level Laser Treatment -LLLT , Low Level Laser Therapy -LLLT, or Cold Laser Treatments are routinely used to treat many patients at the PBM Therapy Clinic in Derby. Low Level Laser Treatment/Therapy (LLLT), Cold Laser Treatment, Red Laser Treatments are all now collectively known under one umbrella name of ‘PhotoBioModulation Therapy’ or simply PBM Therapy, PBM/PBMT for short.
So why did LLLT have a name change to PBM Therapy?
The change of name reflects the fact that Red Light generated Treatments (RLT) are no longer exclusively done via lasers. In the last few years there has been a revolution in LED electronics in terms of brightness (radiance) and reliability – just think about the thickness and quality of the LED TV’s now available compared to a few years ago!
World wide researchers have independently come to the same conclusions when testing the action of red LED’s vs red Lasers – they work in a very similar way with the same type of results. There are some subtle differences which you can read about below. This ground breaking research showing the effectiveness of LED’s is the driving force behind production of the revolutionary NovoTHOR Whole Body PBM Therapy Light Bed Pod.
Desk top LLLT machines with hand held lasers have been around quite a while but THOR now manufacture their LX2 PBM Therapy Machine with both Lasers and LED hand held probes. The desk top LX2 allows us to change many dose parameters – we can alternate between red and near infrared light, control the length of time the light beam is applied to a body part and also the frequency (Hz) of the red and NIR light.
Lasers vs LED PBM Therapy
Our THOR LX2 desk top PBM Therapy machines have both Lasers and LED probes which means that:
- The Laser and LED probes have slightly different tissue penetration characteristics – even for the same light wavelength – so we can make a choice as to what is better for your problem(s)
- We can decide which size of probe(s) LED or laser is better suited to your problem. Different sized probes can be selected for harder to reach tissues.
- Lasers can penetrate the tissues more deeply and have a more focused beam. On the other hand our large LED probe can ‘bathe’ an entire area
- Lasers are not safe to use near the eyes but we can use LED’s safely near the eyes and face e.g. for Macular Degeneration and face pain.
- We can use the Desk Top unit in pregnancy (not on the low back or pelvis) when we are unable to use the NovoTHOR (simply because the risks for whole body PBM have not been established)
- We can use the desk top LX2 safely away from the site of a cancer e.g. if you have prostate cancer and are having treatment for this but also have unrelated shoulder and neck pain. For the NovoTHOR – as it is a whole body treatment – it is best practice not to use whole body light therapy unless we have your oncologist’s permission
The variability of the LX2’s characteristics are very important because as new trial research is published we can refine our treatments to reflect new best evidence and best practice. All with the goal of getting you better, faster.